Don't miss the Suicide Summit and other upcoming events!See all events
Story of Survival
"Redeemed" by Dese'Rae L. Stage
(Paul G. Quinnett Lived Experience Writing Contest)
I tried to kill myself in the summer of 2006. I was 23. I spent a month deeply entrenched in an exhaustive cycle of breaking up and getting back together with Emma, the girl I'd loved for three years...
read the full story here
|New Data Issued by the CDC Releases 2011 Suicide Statistics Showing Continued Rise in Suicide Rate 6/25/14||read article|
|A Prioritized Research Agenda for Suicide Prevention:
An Action Plan to Save Lives 2014
|click for PDF|
|JUDY SHOULTS 2013 MHC Shining Star Award Recipient||read more|
|DEB MAHR 2013 NAMI Award Recipient||read more|
|Preventing Suicide: A Global Imperative, Executive Summary 2013||click for PDF|
|Suicide Prevention Investment Needed to Reverse Trend of Increasing Suicide, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Statement on Latest CDC Report, 10/08/2014||read article|
|The Burden of Suicide in Wisconsin: 2007-2011||click for PDF|
The La Crosse Area Suicide Prevention Initiative is committed to promoting awareness that suicide is a public health problem that is preventable.
To increase awareness about suicide prevention throughout the greater La Crosse community through:
- The annual Suicide Summit
- The annual Awareness Walk
- The annual Dance for Hope
- Ongoing QPR Training
- Distribution of written information via the SPI Website and numerous educational events and fundraisers
To support and establish legislation at the state and national levels related to:
- Suicide Prevention
- Mental Health Insurance Parity
To increase access to care for at-risk populations by:
- Reducing the stigma associated with help-seeking
- Raising the public's knowledge of risk factors for suicide, the warning signs, and preparedness to respond
To assist communities in creating suicide-safe environments by:
- Providing information to obtain gun locks and encouraging safe storage of firearms
- Supporting pill collections where community members can safely dispose of unused medications.
- Providing information regarding Crisis Intervention resources.