Welcome to SPI
The La Crosse Area Suicide Prevention Initiative is committed to promoting awareness that suicide is a public health problem that is preventable. Feel free to browse our website for useful information and upcoming events.
The La Crosse Area Suicide Prevention Initiative is committed to promoting awareness that suicide is a public health problem that is preventable. Our goals are:
To increase awareness about suicide prevention throughout the greater La Crosse community through:
- The annual Suicide Summit
- The annual Awareness Walk
- The annual Dance for Hope
- Ongoing QPR Training
- Distribution of written information via the SPI Website and numerous educational events and fundraisers
To support and establish legislation at the state and national levels related to:
- Suicide Prevention
- Mental Health Insurance Parity
To increase access to care for at-risk populations by:
- Reducing the stigma associated with help-seeking
- Raising the public's knowledge of risk factors for suicide, the warning signs, and preparedness to respond
To assist communities in creating suicide-safe environments by:
- Providing information to obtain gun locks and encouraging safe storage of firearms
- Supporting pill collections where community members can safely dispose of unused medications.
- Providing information regarding Crisis Intervention resources.